Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Silsilay: The strange case of Neil Constantine

I was living out of my suitcase(literally) in the early 80's with me frequently travelling overseas on clientele meets. Often  these trips would leave me wanting to spend more time with my family but would be denied over months. Once I was enroute from the Heathrow, London to the JFK, NewYork. While waiting at the transit I happened to see an array of policemen surrounded around a thin frail man who somehow seemed vaguely similar to one of my old school friends. He was chained form top to bottom like one of those Fidayeen terrorists they showed in BBC the previous week. Just then, it hit me it was my old school chum, Neil 
Constantine, from my John Connon and Catherdal days back in Bombay. We were fairly good friends as I termed  "chums". But to see my old friend after 25 years being handcuffed across the terminal by a military of policemen sure seemed weird to me. After some initial inquiry, however there was little I could do to change anything neither find out anything, I decided to board my flight to JFK. Once I landed in JFK, I happened to find a huge commotion at the airport exit. I soon figured out it was some celebrity who was being whisked away in a limo. Not suprising till the moment I realized it was the same man,my old chum turned convict Neil Constantine, who was chained to the root a few hours back. It took me sometime to recover to my senses as I just was not able to make any sense of the weirdest situation which was just happening in fronta me. Since he left with the airs of a celebrity I was left with none to really find out about him and I returned home disappointed. Around 3 years later, I was enjoyin a mug of beer alone at a bar in Prague, when this gentlemen came and sat next to me. He seemed to vaguely familar to me, I couldn't make out who he exactly was. Just then he spoke and his baritone reminded me of the one and only Neil that I knew of in school, someone who had mastered the art of elocution, and also the same person who has keys to one of the greatest unsolved mysteries of my life. He then started narrating me his tale of ups and downs which made it look like even Mariana Trench was flat! He had been convicted of murder and deceit across Central Europe, no wonder he was chained by the police. He was being deported to US since he had become a US citizen and had applied for extradiction. 15 mins into the flight the pilot had joined the cabin crew for some small talk when the plane was set on auto pilot. All of a sudden the cockpit door bolted and the pilot was left stranded and clueless as to how to enter back into his mecca. There was no way one could break open into cockpit owing to its nature of built. Everyone in the flight were tensed to the hilt coz it was death on the radar. Just then the Police realized that they did have a propfessional safecracker and he could help them out. They turned to Neil for his expertise. Sensing an oppurtunity to escape Neil demanded his immediate release once they landed safely in JFK. Also in the flight was Mr. Onassis, one of the wealthiest blokes in that part of the world, who fearing the worst and overcome and stung by the situation on the anvil, proclaimed to bequeath 25% of his fortune,to to the man who would save his life. Neil, got down to work and broke all his previous records, everyone around stared in amazement. Within 10 mins he had broken open the door of the cockpit understandbly saving the lives of hundreds. When he left the airport one of the passengers in the flight gifted him his limo which he drove away with great pride and elan with all charges being dropped amidst the cheer of "Long live Neil! Our Saviour!" with his new multi millionaire status.....

1 comment:

  1. I guess what theu say is right about knowledge.
    It never goes waste you see ... as one might say, expertise can not be good or bad ... its the use of expertise which is categorised..

    ReplyDelete